Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Let Us Make a Trade

The following is a prayer of repentance that I wrote after reflecting upon Isaiah 6, Ezekiel 1 and the idols in my own heart. I hope some of you may find it helpful as you seek to follow God in your life.

Dear Triune Father,

Fairest Lord Jesus,
Let us make a trade,
My rubbish for your beauty,
Your glory for my filth,
The divine nature for my idols,
Long have I sought peace and joy from the pleasures of sin,
And long has my soul withered.
My soul is now withered because of my wicked idolatry,
But you do not forsake your children,
Even as I walk away to the poison of sin,
You plead with me to return,
Warning me of the danger ahead,
But as I idolize myself I tell you,
"I know best, away with you."
And now I am at my wits end
As sin has brought me to ruin.
The only hope for me now is your Son.
So let us make a trade,
My rubbish for your cross,
His blood for my filth,
The holiness of Christ for my idols.

No comments: